【問題】Dilemma in Choosing a Major

do u know any majors that are related to medicine in engineering field?

i am thinking about switching out from EE to Bioengineering, Chemical engineering, Biomolecular engineering, or Biomedical engineering.

Because i am accepted to UCLA school of engineering and applied science, i believe it will be easier for me to change major within the school.

i am not interested in either engineering nor medicine, so interest is not an issue and furthermore engineer's salary is no match to physician's.

on the other hand, physician has to be in school at least 8 years and to do internship for another couple years but makes a whole lot of money.

i am in dilemma... i dont really know what i want to be...

any suggestions? which major should i pick? is it easy for incoming freshman to change major? do i have a chance to straight everything out before school starts maybe at the orientation or at the time i meet my counselor?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

通常大家建議都會是你有興趣的科系吧

可是你唸的都是跟生物化學之類有關的科目 你又說你都不喜歡...

如果你的目標只是為了賺大錢

那就去念精算囉~精算師是未來20年最賺的職業

而且你好像不太想花時間在improving你的skill

可是學業其實是最基本的耶...

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
通常大家建議都會是你有興趣的科系吧

可是你唸的都是跟生物化學之類有關的科目 你又說你都不喜歡...

如果你的目標只是為了賺大錢

那就去念精算囉~精算師是未來20年最賺的職業

而且你好像不太想花時間在improving你的skill

可是學業其實是最基本的耶...

沒錯...我的目標就是賺大錢...

我做的starting salary research

engineer: $50000

pharmacist: $100000

physician: $150000↑

我的興趣呀

打籃球 唱ktv 看武俠小說

都不能拿來當飯吃

我打算朝醫師的方向走

只是不知道該選哪個major

越簡單越容易過關的越好

這樣gpa高一點 申請醫學院也比較容易

mcat到時候自己cram就行了

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
沒錯...我的目標就是賺大錢...

我做的starting salary research

engineer: $50000

pharmacist: $100000

physician: $150000↑

你這樣比較就錯了..

要比較在同一個年齡時的薪水

engineer在22歲的時候就年薪 50~60K

pre-med 的同學還在念書呢...

等med school念完residency熬完出來大概是150K at age of 30

你的收入是到30歲開始才是正的

那時候engineer可能連MBA都唸完以經升到PM不知道多久了

top MBA program出來薪水起碼是100K起跳

扣除兩年MBA, 他已經賺錢賺了6年了, 而且在30歲的時候薪水不一定比你低

算一下NPV就知道你少賺了很多錢....

醫生的優勢只是比較穩定而已(但是有可能會被病人告XD)

以現在的熱門行業來說:

精算師(actuary)的話如果你在27歲考完7級考試

大概薪水是150K+ (但是平均是8年考完, it's like a Ph.D w/o research)

精算師的缺點就是它是一個很narrow的field而且都是nerdy的男人

會計師(CPA) in big 4的話

剛畢業年薪是50K起跳, 5年double

27歲的時候大概是100K左右

會計師也是一個很穩定的職業,而且女生多XD

基本上各行各業做到頂尖的都可以賺大錢...

med, law, engineering, finance, etc 各有利弊但是其實都有很好的錢途

關鍵在於能不能做到頂尖, 所以才會說興趣很重要, 沒有興趣你至少也要在那個field很在行

如果要pre med的話建議你選一個GPA好拿的學校

因為不管什麼major你都需要拿bio, chem, etc..and GPA in those classes are the ones that matter the most

而GPA對申請醫學院至關重要...

以Berkeley來說, pre med的淘汰率驚人...

lower div的生物課和化學課都是著名的難課

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
你這樣比較就錯了..

要比較在同一個年齡時的薪水

engineer在22歲的時候就年薪 50~60K

pre-med 的同學還在念書呢...

等med school念完residency熬完出來大概是150K at age of 30

你的收入是到30歲開始才是正的

那時候engineer可能連MBA都唸完以經升到PM不知道多久了

top MBA program出來薪水起碼是100K起跳

扣除兩年MBA, 他已經賺錢賺了6年了, 而且在30歲的時候薪水不一定比你低

算一下NPV就知道你少賺了很多錢....

醫生的優勢只是比較穩定而已(但是有可能會被病人告XD)

以現在的熱門行業來說:

精算師(actuary)的話如果你在27歲考完7級考試

大概薪水是150K+ (但是平均是8年考完, it's like a Ph.D w/o research)

精算師的缺點就是它是一個很narrow的field而且都是nerdy的男人

會計師(CPA) in big 4的話

剛畢業年薪是50K起跳, 5年double

27歲的時候大概是100K左右

會計師也是一個很穩定的職業,而且女生多XD

基本上各行各業做到頂尖的都可以賺大錢...

med, law, engineering, finance, etc 各有利弊但是其實都有很好的錢途

關鍵在於能不能做到頂尖, 所以才會說興趣很重要, 沒有興趣你至少也要在那個field很在行

如果要pre med的話建議你選一個GPA好拿的學校

因為不管什麼major你都需要拿bio, chem, etc..and GPA in those classes are the ones that matter the most

而GPA對申請醫學院至關重要...

以Berkeley來說, pre med的淘汰率驚人...

lower div的生物課和化學課都是著名的難課

最近ap physics讀得很辛苦

讀得半死 還是搞不懂

在physics上似乎遇到了瓶頸

覺得 chem, bio, calc bc, stat 比較容易

有讀有分數

maybe physics is just not my thing

我認為engineer升到project manager並不是件簡單的事

畢竟升遷並不是自己能決定的事

反觀physician, residency也有錢拿, 做完了 如果自己出來開診所 賺得更多

每通過一個專科考, 薪水就翻個幾番

我是個標準的射手座

不喜歡受約束

要我聽主管指揮是件很可怕令人無法忍受的事

andertlin 你認為我該轉嗎?

EE會比medicine容易讀嗎

since you are a engineering major, please give me some insight look.

Furthermore, According to your knowledge, if i plan to go to medical school, which major would be the easiest and give me a high GPA. and i want to have as few years of physics as possible.

Bioengineering, Chemical engineering, Biomolecular engineering, or Biomedical engineering?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

我是念數學的:E

你列的4個major的課程我相信會有很多overlap, 所以GPA應該沒差哈哈(除非是在不同college)

真的要簡單的major去唸humanity吧, poli sci or geography之類的XD

至於EE和pre med真的是apple and orange我不知道怎麼比較...

engineering第一年的課差別沒有很多, 所以不用緊張上了大學之後再慢慢決定吧

你AP physics是考B還是C? B通常對engineering majors沒用, 你到時候還是得拿

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

嗯我忍不住要來說一下XD

poli sci 要念很多書

沒有興趣, 或是看書速度不夠快的話不要來喔XD

其實最簡單的major就是你最有興趣的, 沒有興趣去了解和深入的話, 什麼都不好拿分

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
我是念數學的:E

你列的4個major的課程我相信會有很多overlap, 所以GPA應該沒差哈哈(除非是在不同college)

真的要簡單的major去唸humanity吧, poli sci or geography之類的XD

至於EE和pre med真的是apple and orange我不知道怎麼比較...

engineering第一年的課差別沒有很多, 所以不用緊張上了大學之後再慢慢決定吧

你AP physics是考B還是C? B通常對engineering majors沒用, 你到時候還是得拿

我列的4個major都在school of engineering and applied science

因為我是EE錄取 同個學校應該會比較容易轉

我不打算考ap physics 我physics濫到掉渣

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Ah.......very familiar dilemma here :D

行行出狀元

You REALLY should be doing something you're interested in, else you won't enjoy it and hence, you won't be doing well in it. All the truly successful people in whatever profession they're doing have one thing in common - they ENJOY their work so seriously, if neither engineering and medicine is your interest, then you really should think about what you truly enjoy and do that instead.

As you've said, physicians get paid a lot - but they also have to work a lot. If you don't mind working for like 16 hours a day, then fair enough but for people who likes to have a bit of their own time to themselves or at least spend some time with family, it's truly not worth it.

Engineering's quirk is that you'll forever be learning and unfortunately, you don't have a lot of exposure besides people within your industry. If you'd like dealing with people and have a lot of exposure to clients etc., engineering might not be the one for you. Or at least, you can use engineering as a background and work as an engineer for the first 3 to 5 years of your life, gain all the technical knowledge you need, then switch to a more managerial position - however, you still must endure the first 3 to 5 years. If you don't enjoy learning technical stuff or be technical, then you have to think whether or not spending that 3 to 5 years is truly worth it.

To be frank, it depends on what type of lifestyle you want and what you want to make your life to be but one thing's for sure - if you're not interested in what you're doing, you won't do well in it and worst of all, you won't enjoy it. My advice is, find something you like to do - for whatever justification you can accompany the decision with - just don't kid yourself with it.

An even better advice is, talk to your career advisor at your uni/college. They'll be able to give you a much better advice.

Oh, and it should be easy for a freshman to change their major. If you're thinking of switching, do it early. You don't want to waste 3 years of your life - it's precious.

我不打算考ap physics 我physics濫到掉渣

You probably SHOULDN'T do Engineering then - EE for that matter. LOTS of physics. @_@

Furthermore, According to your knowledge, if i plan to go to medical school, which major would be the easiest and give me a high GPA. and i want to have as few years of physics as possible.

Bioengineering, Chemical engineering, Biomolecular engineering, or Biomedical engineering?

......ALL HARD. You're KIDDING yourself if you're thinking Engineering is easy. 3 years after doing Software Engineering and I can tell you, ALL engineering is hard. Go to the commerce/arts faculty, you see students there lying on the grass, chatting away, reading some books (at least that's the case at my uni). Go to the Engineering faculty, you see people in labs or with their labtops, rushing to finish their assignments, most with an average of 3 hours of sleep in 2 days. From what I know, most, if not all, engineering have physics - EE being the most. From the above, chemical engineering probably have least amount of physics compared to the other ones (if I remember correctly) but from what I know, many universities tend to make 1st year engineers do the same type of subjects (which will include physics) so as andertlin said, it probably makes no difference at all. If you're looking for an easy course to give you a high GPA, don't do Engineering - unless you're prepared to not sleep for the next 4 years of your life.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入